St. Sylvester’s College began as a separate institution on 1 November 1940 with very Rev. Fr. D. Robert. Perera OSB as the principal. The college owed its inception to the foresight of his Lordship Bishop Bernardo Regno OSB and Abbot Anselm Weerasinghe OSB, the heads of the Sylvestro-Benedictine Congregation in Sri Lanka. They felt that…
The Church of St. Ugo at Burullapitiya in the Archdiocese of Colombo. Emilian MilianiOSB was instrumental in spreading the devotion to St. Ugo in the Negombo region and bringing in procession the much venerated statue of the Saint. He was born at Sassoferrato (Marche – Italy) in 1820. He madehis religious profession as a member…
Mgr. Leo Nanayakkara OSB, first bishop of the diocese of Badulla
Mgr. Joseph Maria Bravi OSB, First Sylvestrine to come to Ceylon
Mgr. Hilarion Sillani OSB
Mgr. Clement Pagnani OSB, First bishop of the See of Kandy
Mgr. Bernard Regno OSB, Popularly known as the Coolie Bishop
Mgr. Bede Beekmeyer OSB, firest Sri Lankan to becoe Bishop
Abbot Giacomo Leo Cingolani OSB
Abbot Augustine Pancrazi OSB
Abbot Anselm Weerasignhe OSB
This church dedicated to Bl. Ugo is situated at Narawila of the Thummodera Parish of the Diocese of Chilaw. It is not built by the Benedictines but people have a great veneration to Bl Ugo. How this cult of the saint came to this village is not known. According to an oral tradition the cult…
Fr. Emiliano Miliani OSB was the second Sylvestrine to arrive in Sri Lanka. He was born at Sassoferrato, Ancona, Italy on 25 th August 1820, made his Solemn Profession on 18 th April 1843 and was ordained a priest on 10th August 1844. He arrived in Sri Lanka on 28 th November 1847. He first…
Athletics 1957 at SACK with Br. Macky and Fr. Rudolph (The Antonian, 1956-59)_1
Athletics 1956 – winners of the outstation tarbat cup SACK with Bro Macky OSB
A Leaf From the Past – A Staff Group SACK 1925 (The Antonian 1928)
Members of the Juniorate with Novice Master, Fr. A. Weerasinghe (The Antonian, 1937-43)_1
This church was built in 1980’s by Fr. Bruno Daniel OSB
The old shine in honour of St. Anthony of Padiwa at Wahacotte was replaced by the present beautiful church built by Fr. Narciso Gebelin OSB in the 1940’s.
St. Mary’s Church which would later become the Cathedral of the diocese of Badulla was built by Rev. Fr. Peter Farina OSB in the early 1950’s.
The devotion to Bl. Ugo, a sylvestrine monk, was spread in Sri Lanka by Fr. E. Milliani OSB, the second Sylvestrine to come to Sri Lanka. He built a small chapel at Burullapitiya and a special indult was obtained from Rome by. Mgr. Sillani OSB to legalise his cult. The present church, next to the…
St. Mary’s Cathedral, Galle which was built by Fr. Benito Martin OSB was blessed by Most. Rev. Dr. Hillarian Sillani OSB, Vicar Apostolic of the Southern Vicariate on the 18th of January 1870. The foundation of this church were laid in 1869 by the second Sylvestrine to come to Sri Lanka, Fr. E. Miliani OSB.
St. Joseph’s Church, Pamunugama is built by Fr. Sylvester Papili OSB in 1868. He spread in the Island the devotion to the Most Sacred Blood of Jesus. His former parishioners, fifty years after his death at Nawalapitiya, brought back his remains to Pamunugama and erected a monument over his new grave.
The foundation stone of the church dedicated to St. Sylvester, founder ofthe sylvestrine monks, at Galkissa was blessed by. Mgr. Hilarian Sillani OSB who was still pro-administrator, on 24th November 1863. This church was later re-dedicated to St. Anthony.
The corner stone of the church dedicated to St. Sylvester, founder of the Sylvestrine monks, at Etukal was blessed by Fr. E. Miliani OSB the second Sylvestrine to come to Sri Lanka in 1857. The church was completed only in 1883.
A church dedicated to St. Benedict Abbot was commenced but never completed at Madampella in 1854 by Fr. E. Miliani OSB the second Sylvestrine to come to Sri Lanka. A new site was chosen by Fr. Leo Cingolani OSB in 1860’s and the church was soon finished. In late years the church was re-dedicated to…
The Foundation stone for a new Church dedicated to Bl. John of the Staff at Talangama. Palawatta was laid by Mgr. Hilarian Sillani OSB on 2nd October 1872 and was built by Fr. E. Miliani OSB the second Sylvestrine to come to Sri Lanka. Mgr. Sillani OSB obtained a special indult from Rome to legalise…
The church dedicated to St. Thomas at Kotte is built by Abbot Leo Cingolani in 1854 and was blessed by Vicar Apostolic Mgr. Gaetano Antonio in 1855. The old church was replaced a few years ago by the present building.
St. Mary’s Church in Grand Street was built by Fr. John Vistarini OSB in 1870. Fr. Vistarini was first a secular priest and later opted to be transferred from the Vicariate of Jaffana to Colombo for his desire to become a Sylvestrine Tertiary. He died in 1905.
The church was also completed in the early 1970’s. The priest in charge of the mission was the Sylvestrine Tertiary Fr. Peter Ilari OSB
This church was completed in the early 1870’s. The priest in charge was the Sylvestrine Tertiary Fr. Peter Ilari OSB
This was built in 1873 by Sylvestrine Tertiary Fr. Peter Ilari OSB and was completed in 1873. Its design was sent by abbot Leo Cornelli OSB from Rome.
The first Benedictine Monastery in the East was St. Anthony’s Monastery in Kandy which was officially blessed by Mgr. Sillani. Fr. Leo Cingolani was blessed as Abbot on 4th of April 1875. The abbatial church of St. Anthony’s monastery was blessed by Mgr. Sillani OSB on the 15th of December 1877. This was made a…
This was completed in the early 1870’s in 1869 Abbot Cornelli sent some status but people did not like them. The missionary in charge of that district was Fr. Peter Ilari OSB.
St. Mary’s Church Mattakkuliya dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Mary was completed in the early 1870’s.
Monte fano chapel at Ampitiya dedicated to the name of St. Sylvester
Mgr. Joseph Maria Bravi OSB in 1853 asked the Cardinal Prefect of Propaganda for a “beautiful plan of a church that would take up very little ground but very simple and with lots of doors and windows”. The plan of the new St. Philip Neri’s Church at Pettah were sent to Mgr. Bravi in June…
This was the dream of Mgr, Hularian Sillani OSB who started the demolition of the old church on 8th August 1873. The New church was solemnly blessed and opened to the public on 5th August 1881 by Mgr. Clement Pagnani OSB. The building was completed only in 1902. Fr. Tabarrabi who designed and supervised its…