Mgr. Joseph Maria Bravi OSB in 1853 asked the Cardinal Prefect of Propaganda for a “beautiful plan of a church that would take up very little ground but very simple and with lots of doors and windows”. The plan of the new St. Philip Neri’s Church at Pettah were sent to Mgr. Bravi in June 1854. The foundation stone was laid by the same prelate only in 1858. The church was blessed by the Vicar General Matteo Gaetano on 23rd February 1862. The cost of the building was £ 4000. Here are the remains of Mgr. Bravi.